
I am joining the series, "Walking With You," from Kelly Gerken's blog, Sufficient Grace Ministries.
This is my third time sharing, and to be honest, it never gets old. I never tire, when taking time to write about that little boy, Isaiah Christopher Ross, whom I miss more than words. Each time writing, is like giving a breath of life, to a body that is gone. He continues to live on through me. Through my thoughts, laughter, smiles and love. I can't put away the pen and notepad, because of four years that have passed. Just as love grows, so do my writings about my son - my pain - my love - my hope. Death will not get the last word.
For those that are new to my blog, let me introduce myself. My name is Jennifer Ross, I am 31 years old, and I have five boys that I have carried within my womb and given birth too. Sadly, one of the boys, the fourth to be exact, died within my arms after being born too early. He was healthy, whole and I believe carried a joy throughout his spirit... The one reason that he didn't survive --- His lungs were not strong enough. With oxygen depleting from his lungs, heart slowly beating to the last beats to be heard...EVER...he left my arms, to be delivered into the arms of his heavenly Father.
(This picture was taken about one month before the loss of Isaiah.)
How did this happen?
August 3, 2008 was the start of a new journey in my life.
From seven weeks to nineteen and a half weeks of pregnancy, I had a huge blood clot that was forming in my uterus. It was covering three fourths of my placenta. I knew that there was a possibility that I would loose my child, but I guess I still looked at myself in the world's view.... "it won't happen to me." You may know what I'm talking about.
Unfortunately, it did happen to me.
On the 2nd. of August, I was rushed to the hospital at 11:00 pm. The blood clot had pulled away from the placenta, causing a partial placental abruption, which started a bleed that ended up becoming lethal. Not causing death to my son..... but a fast approaching death upon me.
The next day, on the 3rd. of August, I will NEVER forget. My doctor came into my room and sat at the end of my bed. She said that I had a condition called D.I.C. She said that we needed to deliver the placenta, or I would be dead within the next twenty four hours. After the delivery, I still only had a 30% chance at survival.
After receiving statistics as frightening and real as they were.... What was I supposed to do? I did all that I knew at that very moment.... what the doctor told me to do. I couldn't "pick" between my three older boys that were home at the time (they would be without a mother), the little innocent boy that was dancing within my womb, or the life of myself... which would also lead to the death of Isaiah as well. He was not to be the "winner" in this circle. In the end, his life was taken, to save mine, and to be completely honest, a HUGE/ENORMOUS piece of my heart died the moment the nurse nodded her head to confirm that he was gone. Never coming back. Never will laugh/cry, run, play with blocks and Lego's, ride a bike, go to school, play on a playground, run his toes through hot sand on a beach, watch fireworks, have a squirt gun fight with his brothers, play hide-and-go-seek, skip rocks on the water, eat birthday cake, dress up for Halloween, open a Christmas gift, make me ornaments for my Christmas tree, make me a Mother's Day card, graduate, have a wife, have children -- he will never wrap his arms around my body... I will never hear an "I love you," spoken from his lips.
Where am I now in my grief and healing? This is a very simple answer. The healing will be for a lifetime. With each year that passes, I am able to mend my grief enough to survive. To smile and laugh, enjoy my family and friends, but there is always tears somewhere hidden in me. I am able to camouflage my pain now. I "learned" how too, in order to survive a loss so great, so painful, so empty at times...But, with the gift of my sons life, his very breath, the future that was taken from him... I make it my mission as his mother, to live a full life. To live as though it were my last day... to smile at strangers and say something nice, enjoy a walk on a warm summer evening, taking it all in...That's how I live, taking it all in... the heart wrenching loss of a precious boy in our family, and living and breathing with a thankfulness for what he has given me... LIFE.










Love you, beautiful lady. Thank you...for pouring your heart out so honestly and with such beauty and grace. I never get tired of reading about sweet Isaiah...even as my heart aches with you! Love you.
ReplyDeleteP.S...You were mighty speedy on the Linky girl. Impressive!!
I've been waiting for HOURS to post! ;) lol
DeleteI never knew what happened, Shorty just told me tonight. he read something so I looked it up. When pops died it was hard on Shorty and I..but one of our children...I hurt so much inside for you. I could tell you the last time i cried.My God keep bringing you peace...
DeleteThank you... This means a lot to me...
DeleteI knew You were always so strong. I never wouldof been able to. I was always amazed with you and reading how you struggled and survived through jesus christ. You cease to amaze me :)
DeleteIt is only by the hope that He gives... that I continue to walk, breathe and live... His grace is sufficient... Thus, the title of my blog...
Delete:)
Thank you for sharing your story. <3
ReplyDeleteBeautiful... Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your story with me--I read your blog first thing this morning, and I understand now why you are so compassionate and caring towards me and others who have lost something they will never get back this side of heaven. Love to you
ReplyDeleteYou sure know how to make your Dad cry just remember this my precious daughter that some day in the future when you are taken home to be with the LORD you will see this little boy off in the distance fishing with an old white haired man. thats me and Isaiah spending time together in Heaven.. love you baby your Dad.
ReplyDeleteDad, That was the most beautiful image that I have ever imagined. I will never forget your words. NEVER! When it's your turn to worship God in all His glory, a piece of my heart is going to mend..... just knowing that my son is with his grandpa...fishing. Honestly, you have left me speechless...breathless...with such a beautiful picture. Thank you dad. I love you so much...
DeleteI love what your dad wrote. What a beautiful amazing gift.
ReplyDeleteI ALWAYS tear up when I ready your blog! Today, your dad made me cry too. :) I love how you tell Isaiah's story, and I look forward to following along.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, your blog is always such a blessing and encouragement to me. You write so beautifully...I can literally feel your love for Isaiah in your words. I hope that my love for my Lily and Luke shows forth in my writing like it does in yours.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are participating in the "Walking With You" series. I am as well, for my first time. I look forward to reading more of your heart here.
You are so pretty!
I don't know if I ever told you this, but the little blue doggy slippers that are in the header of your blog, I got an exact same pair of those for Lily when I was pregnant with her. I just found a picture of them in an old album on facebook and I will send you the pic.
What your dad wrote was precious and also made me cry!
Much love and hugs, Hannah Rose
I cant wait to read more of your blogs as the weeks go by. Thank you for sharing your story...what a hard choice to make.
ReplyDeleteOh, and your dad made me bawl.
Love reading your heart, Jenn. In it I see the raw and majestic and horrific emotions from my own soul. And when I read, I know that we are entirtwined in a way no other friend would understand. One where completeness is never obtainable, because someone is always missing. And I pray and long that in Heaven we can sit together and laugh and sing, holding our babies, loving them together.
ReplyDelete♥♥♥. Love ur post.. will be parked for more. I probably do the same choosing my other kids and to live, but it will be a very hard choice. Thank you for sharing. Sorry for your Loss.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, Your story is so beautifully written.. thank you for sharing your precious Isaiah with us. He is perfect <3
ReplyDeleteI wanted to share with you my mom's story because it's similar to yours. When my mom was 28 weeks pregnant with my older sister, she developed severe pre-eclampsia. The doctors told my dad that the only options were to take the baby and save my mom, or do nothing and let them both die. It sounds like such an easy choice to make, but to this day he says signing those papers was the hardest thing he ever had to do, even knowing that it was the right and really the only choice.
My sister died in the NICU when she was a week old from complications related to premature birth, but my mom survived and made a full recovery. I wish we lived in a perfect world and somehow they both could have been saved, but I'll never stop being grateful that they were able to save my mom (who was given only a 50/50 chance of recovering). My younger sister and I needed her in this lifetime, so did my dad, and I believe that in some way my older sister understands that.
Love to you and Isaiah <3
I'm glad you continue to share your story! A couple of months ago I spoke with someone about how infant loss was even more common in all of the previous centuries but that people really didn't acknowledge their babies who were born too early or died in the womb--even during my parents' generation. I'm sure many mothers wanted to, but didn't feel they would be understood or supported. It is a big step forward for there to be blogs these days and infant loss awareness day, etc. so that everyone can come together and be there for each other. You are helping other moms to not hide from their feelings and know that it's okay to talk about and grieve for their babies.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are joining in again with WWY. I'm just now working on my post! Ah!
ReplyDeleteYou and Isaiah hold a special place in my heart and I'm so glad you share him so lovingly with all of us.
Thank you so much for sharing Isaiah's beautiful story with us. Like you, I am also thankful for the changed outlook on life Noah gave me. Looking forward to sharing more on WWY.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing Isaiah's and your story. It is so beautiful. I agree with you, that you learn how to live a more complete life, enjoying the simplest things, when you have experienced a loss (especially a child).
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post (((hugs)))...what you and your dad wrote is so heart touching.
ReplyDeleteThrough your words I am privileged to meet your son, Isaiah. Thank you for sharing him. He is beautiful and so are you. Thank you for sharing your heart.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing Isaiah. It makes me so sad to think of all the things our babies will miss here on earth, all of the hopes and dreams we have for them. And then I have to remind myself of the majesty of heaven and of being in His presence that they are experiencing and remember that they are not missing it at all. The missing is ours and it will only last for this lifetime. And your dad's comment is so beautiful.
ReplyDelete