In Memory Of Isaiah Christopher Ross

In Memory Of Isaiah Christopher Ross

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Walking With You ~ Clinging in the Pit




~This weeks talk on Walking With You: "If you are not new to loss, talk a bit about early grief. What was it like, clinging for hope in the pits of despair? What did you cling to for hope? How did you survive the early days? What helped? What do you wish you could share with someone new to this walk, clinging in the pit? If you’re in the pit, currently, share your struggles. What can others do to encourage you?"~

I'm not "new" to this loss. The loss of my child. My son. As of today, January 13, 2013, the "helpful" Lilypie button on my blog tells me that I have lived 4 years, 5 months, 1 week & 3 days without him. My child. My son.

As I was preparing for this post, I took about an hour in reviewing my blog from the very beginning, up through 2010. I came upon many sad reminders of where I was, and across many hardships that I still face with the loss today.

In the very beginning, I can't say that I was clinging to "anything" in the pit. I made myself comfortable in that cold dark hole of despair. I needed to take it all in. I wanted to consume my loss. By inhaling and exhaling the pain, touching the emptiness and tasting the tears of despair. Why?

I.Did.Not.Want.To.Miss.One.Piece.Of.My.Loss.

I needed to experience ever drop. I needed to allow God to carry me through....when I was ready. It took a very long time for me to be ready. Try two years ready. Just to want to begin to heal. I carried a lot of weight on my shoulders. Guilt. I had to "forgive" myself, before I could start to heal. Throughout just this past year, I have concluded that there will be no forgiving myself. How do you forgive yourself, when there was nothing you could do? It's not possible, nor necessary. I have come to accept that fact. Trust and faith in God, will be my greatest recipe for my healing.

I am going to end this post with an older post that I had written on January 21, 2011. I named it "Praying.Healing.Where I Am.....Serious Post." Visiting Isaiah's grave was one choice that I chose to do often. No, he is not "really" there....just, well, you know.... I went to his grave so often, my sister ended up calling my doctor, because she was so worried about me. I was "okay," but it was just something that I needed to do for me.

His spirit entered eternal love and peace with God, the very moment his heart stopped, but that little body grew in me. I felt it kick, roll and dance within me. Not just as a mother, but as his - Isaiah's mother - I needed to spend A LOT of time at his grave. I had to be there through the "process." The following post that I am sharing from 1-21-11 is not *sweet talk.*




January 21, 2001 (Keep in mind that this was written nearly two years ago.):

"When I post my words on this blog, they have been straight from my heart. I have kept truth in every word I type. There have been many times that I wanted to dig deeper, share more pain, but I didn't want to hurt anyone or make them fall deeper in their own grief, for reading the words that I chose to write. After two years of blogging, I have chosen to do it. It's not anything crazy and so far out there, but it's a subject that I have only read about one time, out of two years surfing other blogs. I have other things weighing on my heart too.....

I'm going to start off with a comment that I left Kelly on one of her posts, after she had commented on my last post: (My comment below.)

"About my latest post, I sure don't mean to sound negative or like a broken record about my "problems." I truly want healing, and I just really don't know what to do. I pray, and pray, and pray, and I still feel so so bad. I usually numb the hurt for awhile, then it slowly trickles out. I pray that God is still using it for His glory, even though I'm still hanging onto it."


One of the struggles that I come across when writing, is not wanting to represent anything but Christ. I have no greater love, than that of my Lord. He can heal. He will heal. He DOES heal.

I don't want to write out my struggles and leave the post without any hope at the end. I really do walk around with a numb covering, just so I can get through the day. I do laugh. I do have fun. I do all of this, with an opened wound on my heart. It hasn't gotten better for me. This doesn't mean that God can't and won't heal the hurt or the loss. After writing Kelly about how I pray, and pray, and pray, I realized that in my prayers, I never asked God to heal me from the guilt. I prayed that He would give me the strength to live with the guilt. Talk about being deceived! 

I have also been reading through the book of Job, and have come across some verses that really tear at my soul. These verses are the part that I really don't think that anyone wants to think about, or care to read. I respect that, but I feel like I need to cross the "boundary" for those who want someone to do it, because they just can't do it. There is definitely a silent "no no," about speaking about the grave. I am deeply burden by thoughts of my sons grave and I really hope and pray that my respect that I have tried to "earn" on my blog is not lost. I am so so sorry if I "crossed" your boundary in grief.

Two verses that I read out of the book of Job:

*Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.

*Job 21:26 They shall lie down alike in the dust, and the worms shall cover them.


To be completely honest, I don't go through one day without thinking about it. I know that my sons soul went to be with the Lord. Our Creator is holding that sweet soul that He made with His own hands. He holds my son.

* 2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 

I believe every single word that is written in the Holy Bible. 

I struggle very deeply with the knowledge of knowing the natural part of death. I don't like knowing what is happing to my son. A mother has a built in protection system for her children. It doesn't matter if your child is a newborn, teenager or an adult. Each child leaves their DNA in their mother's blood. I have all of this protection that I have in me, for each of my children. I'm telling you, I am a very, very, very PROTECTIVE  mother! It troubles my mind to think of Isaiah and what has happened to his body.

Every time I go outside in the cold, I think about it. Every time it rains, I think about it. Every time it's been 80 degrees outside, I've thought about it.  With each passing season, I feel as though I am slowly loosing his tiny little body that I nurtured with my own. I feel as though little pieces of my strength pass with him. 

While I'm lying in bed at night, waiting for sleep to fall upon me, I wonder how he felt as his heartbeat slowly came to his last. 

Did it hurt him?

Did he feel the oxygen being taken from his lungs?

Could he hear his mommy whispering in his little ear, " I love you Isaiah Christopher."

Were the nurses 100% sure that he had passed, before being taken from my arms and placed by himself on the nursery bed?

Should I have had the nurses try to save his life, even though they told me that there was no way that he was going to make it? I could have had greater faith, and at the same time, I didn't want him to suffer for a handful of moments that he would have lived, in pain. I didn't want to loose the warmth and life that I held for fifteen minutes. One answer was right, and only God knows if the other was the one that I should have chosen. Was I supposed to be this women with faith beyond words, than that of the words that were spoken or knowledge learned through college, by nurses? Or, was I supposed to hold onto a faith, for the hope that I had held for my innocent little one? 

There is so much pain, I simply can't handle it sometimes. That's when you will come along a post on my blog that holds so much pain. Although I may appear to sound like a broken record at times, I am so thankful for the support that God has graced me with, on my blog. I am so thankful for the women who come along and just write a simple, " I'm praying for you." There is nothing stronger than prayer. God is within it all. He uses all of us, the broken hearted, to bring Him glory..... if we let Him. Just continue asking, begging if you need to. Cry to Him.

* Psalm 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry. 

* Psalm 34:17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

* Psalm 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.

 

I'm going to end with the comment that Kelly had replied to, regarding my comment written in the beginning of this post:

"Your latest post was just honesty from your heart about a difficult battle you struggle with...and I'm glad you shared it, so that we can pray and show love to you. We can't help how we feel. My friend, Lynette (in real life friend) says that God's part is always bigger than our part. That means that we don't have to strive to do it all right or have it all figured out. He will work in our lives and hearts in His time to heal, restore, grow, mend...whatever it is that needs dealt with. And, our part is small. It's not about us getting it right. He can work in and through us. Our part is just to keep clinging to Him. So, just keep clinging....He'll do the rest."


That's what I'm going to continue doing. Clinging to the Lord.

This post covers where I am.

Wow! After writing that sentence, I noticed the last two words.

"I Am." 

It looks as though I've been covered by Him all along! Thank you Father!

* Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM." 

God is so awesome! Looks like He just used my pain and got the glory. I just love when He shows me special answers along the way. In times like this, it makes the pain worth it all. There is something gained and not lost.

I will praise Him forever......."


I hope that I have not crossed the boundary of any of you, but this post represents the early stages of *my* grief.There were a lot of deep comments on that post, that reflect the heart of women that were right "there" with me. They silently suffered with those morbid thoughts too. If you are interested in what they had to say, click here.


11 comments:

  1. I love you. Thank you for this honest and spot on post. So much growing has taken place in you. I can feel the strength and healing...even as I know that you will and do always carry the memories, the joy, the sorrow, and every bit of your Isaiah...as well you should.

    But, can I just say, I'm trying to control myself from leaping from the couch and doing a happy dance at your words about not coming to the place of forgiving yourself...because it's not necessary. YESSSSS! I feel as if something has been released. I feel the truth and healing settling into your heart and soul...as He works to restore...and build something new. Something that wasn't there before. How awesome is our God...and how beautiful is your heart, willing to be shaped and molded. He is doing amazing things in your life...and I am so grateful for the privilege of witnessing it all, my beautiful and amazing friend. LOVE, love, LOVE!!!

    Go girl...and keep writing. What is pouring from you is nothing short of a masterpiece. Of course...because it started with the gift of your precious son.

    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I can feel and she the difference even though I have known you a week <3 You are a strong woman and you show the strength the Lord has given to you.

    Much Love to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a strong, brave mommy. I am thankful for your honest post they helped me to embrace my own sorrow and fully grieve so I could fully heal. Although there will always be a Jonathan shaped hole in my heart until Heaven. Love you sweet friend you are a treasure to many including me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being so brutally, honest! It really is a necessity, and I, for one, have had some of these same feelings. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your honesty. I have had the same questions about my daughter's life on earth, what she felt, thoughts that seem unspeakable. And the horrific guilt over things beyond my control. I am so glad to know that you have come to a place where you no longer need to forgive yourself. You give me hope that I will someday accept that as unnecessary too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your journey. I wasn't so brave to share quite so much on my blog this week, but I struggle with many of the same things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when you posted that. You have come a long way in your grief, Jenny, and you can see the transformation with your words. And really, even if there had been no transformation it would have been ok b/c there is no timetable for this grief and how it should go. I am glad that there had been some healing for you. We all need healing with such hurt in our lives. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I.Did.Not.Want.To.Miss.One.Piece.Of.My.Loss."

    Wow. I could have written that one, says the overachiever griever. :)

    And those thoughts. For me, those followed not in the early raw grief, but rather in the last year. What did my babies feel? Did they hurt? And though I know my second little one was already gone, the D&C tore at my heart. Not intact. Products of conception. Ah, those thoughts. I can't change what happened. And I don't have to get over it. But I've learned that I don't have to dwell in them. (At least all the time.)

    So much healing is present on these pages. I can't wait to read everything you write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right... we'll never know if the choices we make are the best ones. Only God knows and we're left just hoping we did the right thing. I know as mothers we do everything we can for our children... we make the best decisions we can, but when it comes to losing a baby, nothing ever seems right. I think allowing Isaiah some peace, comfort and your loving touch in the moments he was here, is an amazing example of how selfless and true a mother's love is. He may not have understood your words, but he felt your love and warmth and when straight from your arms to God's.

    Also, thank you for sharing your older post from 2 years ago... it's inspiring to see how grief and prayer have made you wiser and stronger. You give me such hope to know that in the years to come, though the pain will still be with me, I will continue to be blessed with God's grace and mercy.

    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing so honestly this week, Jennifer. Our God is so good and gives us strength, hope, peace, grace, and victory in Him, even in the most difficult circumstances.

    I too feel like I always want my writing and words to point to Him and to bring hope...even when I am being honest in my grief and losses. I never want to give sin or death the victory, but always JESUS!

    You have come a long way in 2 years. I am sure the Lord will use your honesty to help other women who are having the same type of thoughts.

    For me in the beginning, I didn't really like to visit Lily's grave because it made me so sad. But, the more time that passes, the more I like to go. I don't get to as often as I would like though because she is buried in my hometown in Virginia, 4 hours from where I live now. I think Isaiah's "special spot" (as I call Lily's) is just beautiful. I love his stone. I have blogged about Lily's spot and my thoughts on that as well...My mind would also wonder to thoughts of her beneath the ground. I hated when it went there. It is just so unnatural. I have sometimes wished I had her cremated to be buried with me when I pass, but in the end I am happy with what I chose. I like having a memorial spot to visit her, to leave her things, and to have others visit her. I really hope to be able to get her a headstone soon. Praying the Lord provides it for me!

    ReplyDelete