In Memory Of Isaiah Christopher Ross

In Memory Of Isaiah Christopher Ross

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Elevator Ride

While riding in an elevator at work today, I read over a calendar that had been hanging up. It was there to keep everyone updated with this months activities. There was something that happened on today's date that held a great deal of significance, and I just couldn't remember what it was. About the third time in the elevator, I finally realized what December 16th. represented. It was the day that I was scheduled to have a c-section with Isaiah. I was going to go in for surgery earlier than December 25th., so that I wouldn't be in the hospital having him on Christmas day. I'll never forget the hospital calling and leaving me a message on my answering machine telling me the time to arrive and check in at the hospital to have my baby! For one moment, he was still alive. Then, I completely lost it. No one ever contacted anyone in surgery to cancel the c-section that we had planned months prior. I was not "good" for quite awhile after that whole ordeal...

After realizing what today represented, I could slowly feel my heart start to sink in my chest.

I calmly composed myself and got to the nearest bathroom. I locked the door behind me. For a split second, I just wanted to stand there in the dark. Just be completely alone.

I walked over to the mirror, and stared at my reflection. I tried to find him. I tried to find any piece that he had of his mama.

I found him.

Deep within my eyes, I could see the pain. I could see the love.

I found a mother who continues to live for him. Live the life that was not fully lived to a mother's expectations.

I calmly composed myself, unlocked the door and continued on my way back to the elevator...


5 comments:

  1. Ugh, that bothers me that they wouldn't have canceled your c-section. :( I felt a pain in my heart just thinking about that phone call. I can imagine this Christmas season has mixed feelings for you, but I know that your Isaiah is celebrating with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to you...so hard when those moments sweep fresh grief over us. We never can tell when they will come. Could be in an elevator or who knows where.

    Praying for you this Christmas season...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful that they didn't cancel that and you got the call. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you got that call and that the calendar reminded you of that sad day. We never know when something like this will trigger a heart wrenching moment. Thinking of you and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this post is so moving. I am sorry to read this. I find comfort in your extraordinary faith. May God to continue to hold you close.

    ReplyDelete